Counsel, Product and Regulatory
BitGo is the leader in custody and security solutions and is the largest independent digital asset custodian in the world. Founded in 2013, BitGo is the first digital asset company to focus exclusively on serving institutional clients. BitGo also offers market leading trading, lending, and borrowing services and supports over 400 digital assets on its platform. BitGo provides the security and operational backbone for more than 500 institutional clients in 50 countries, including many of the world’s top cryptocurrency exchanges and platforms.
Our small and growing team seeks financial services lawyers who are inquisitive, creative and practical and ready to effect change within our dynamic company and within the blockchain / digital assets industry at large.
One attorney we look to hire will own responsibilities that may include:
- Providing legal and regulatory expertise in areas such as digital assets, securities, derivatives, trust services, financing and secured transactions, AML/BSA, money transmission, payment, and/or intellectual property licensing.
- Working closely with cross functional teams led by product development and engineering to facilitate the building and delivery of new products.
- Proactive identification of legal and regulatory risks relating to new and existing products, and then working within the organization to mitigate these risks in a thoughtful manner.
- Provide real-time support to product development, trust services, prime services, marketing, compliance, legal staff, operations and others.
- Preparing training materials and regulatory summaries.
- Reviewing product requirement documents, marketing materials and disclaimers.
- Undertaking digital asset diligence and classification analysis, including through application of securities law to crypto.
- Creating and negotiating customer agreements for various BitGo offerings.
- Becoming familiar with non-US regulations and practices when helpful.
- Supporting certain corporate functions, including subpoena and document production efforts, governance, intellectual property/technology and HR/employment.
- Pitching in whenever and wherever needed by our small but growing legal team, even if not directly related to responsibilities described above
Your experience and skill set will cover many of the following:
- 2-4 years of related law firm and/or in-house legal experience at a financial services company, ideally involving product development.
- Creative problem solving particularly in relation to product development and maintenance.
- Familiarity with some of (i) securities and derivatives regulation such as ‘33 Act and Title VII; (ii) regulations relating to extensions of credit such as Regs T, X and U; (iii) secured transactions; (iv) money transmission licensing; or (v) AML related laws and regulations.
- Experience with non-US regulators and regulations.
- Technology and intellectual property.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Interest in blockchain and digital assets.
- You will be collegial and (at least usually) able to retain a sense of humor.
Why Join BitGo?
Disrupting an industry takes vision, innovation, passion, technical chops, drive to deliver, collaboration, and execution. Join a team of great people who strive for excellence and personify our corporate values of ownership, craftsmanship, and open communication. We are looking for new colleagues who bring innovative ways of thinking and problem solving, and who want risks to be part of the team that changes the world’s financial markets. This role is open to a hybrid remote/on-site structure for candidates within the NYC/ San Francisco Bay/Sioux Falls areas (open to candidates in the US outside of those locations if it's the right fit).
Here are some of the benefits of working at BitGo:
- Competitive base salary, bonus and stock options
- 100% company paid health insurance for employee, spouse/partner and children (medical, vision, dental, life, FSA, HSA)
- 401k company match up to 5%
- Computer equipment and workplace furniture to suit your needs
- Generous paid time off
- Great colleagues and inspiring startup environment
Cryptocurrencies are the most disruptive change the financial services industry has seen in years. Join us and you’ll be able to look back and say you were part of the team that transformed investing.