The engineering team at Chainalysis is inspired by solving the hardest technical challenges and creating products that build trust in cryptocurrencies. We’re a global organization with teams in the UK, Denmark, and the USA who thrive on the challenging work we do and doing it with other exceptionally talented teammates. Our industry changes every day and our job is to build a flexible platform that will allow us to adapt to those rapid changes.
Cost Optimization Engineer, Developer Productivity, will work within a highly skilled team that thrives on making the whole engineering team more effective. Whether it’s tools to make operating code in production easier, running foundational shared services or education on AWS, the team is guided by the question - how do we help our colleagues reduce cognitive load, get more done and improve visibility across engineering? Cost Optimization Engineer, Developer Productivity will be responsible for implementing tooling within the organization to manage and reduce cost. They’ll work closely with teams to improve cost visibility and understand where efficiencies can be made, without impacting productivity and performance.
In one year you’ll know you were successful if you have:
- Engineered and/or implemented tooling to Improved cost visibility at multiple levels across the org. including project, team, group, engineering wide.
- Implement cost dashboards and alerting.
- Facilitated engineering awareness and driven behavior change to make significant cost and efficiency improvements across the organization
- Partnered with teams to understand and optimize the cost of workloads across different AWS technologies.
- Developed best practices and governance around cost estimation and budgets.
- Developed a good understanding of our product functionality, the cloud architecture that supports it, and the costs associated with each piece.
- Balanced reducing cost with bias to ship allowing teams to run fast.
- Made cost a primary consideration at each stage of delivery from project inception through to production release.
- Assisted in scoping and prioritizing cost optimisation work within team backlogs.
- Developed strong relationships with other teams across the organization such as engineering, finance and business intel.
- Helped the entire engineering team get better at what we do through building smarter ways of working.
- Brought innovative new ideas and contributed to the team roadmap.
A background like this helps:
- You have experience working in a mix of DevOps and Software Engineering teams.
- Good working knowledge of the AWS Cost Optimization Pillar.
- Worked with the AWS toolchain including: AWS Budget Explorer, AWS Tag and Resource Editor, AWS EKS Container Insights, AWS Budget Explorer, AWS Savings Plans.
- Experience analyzing usage patterns and how to optimize for least cost.
- Comfortable working with workload execution (EC2, EKS, ECS, Fargate) and simple adjustments (memory, CPU)
- An understanding of workload visibility tools.
- Experience working with a global AWS account system
- Experience reconciling billing across several AWS accounts
- Experience enabling other teams in a multi-account cloud environment with modern DevOps tooling.
- Aren’t afraid to jump into a problem and get it sorted, even if it’s outside of your day to day role.
- Have an interest in cryptocurrencies or a desire to learn - we can help!