BlockFi is looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to lead our growing Activation & Engagement team!
About Your Team
The Activation & Engagement Engineering Organization consists of three organizations. The first organization named Activation is responsible for the BlockFi homepage/dashboards and the teams objective is to effectively enable signed up clients to leverage our different products. The Growth team is responsible for the marketing website, off-site marketing efforts, and marketing partner integrations. The Engagement team is responsible for platforms that help facilitate growth efforts such as our notification, communication, and promotion platforms. For each team, the technical stack is TypeScript, React, Elixir (Backend), and Native iOS (Swift)/Android (Kotlin) with services hosted on AWS. We partner closely with the Activations and Engagements Product team and Growth & Marketing organization to effectively communicate our products to potential customers and newly signed up clients, along with building platforms that facilitate engagement with our clients.
We are a collaborative, curious, motivated group who care deeply about our work and teammates. We expect our leaders to be "player coaches", and hence deeply technical with their finger on the pulse of both the strategic and the tactical.
As a Senior Software Engineering Manager, you provide leadership to several teams responsible for the technical implementation of related business capabilities. Your leadership responsibilities include setting team level goals, developing your junior leaders and senior engineers, headcount planning, team culture / morale, and execution of multi-team project initiatives. As a thought leader within technology, you collaborate with cross functional partners across the organization to develop strategic roadmaps. You are able to shift from that strategic mindset to tactical problem-solving when issues arise.
- Organization Leadership
- Responsible for shaping the culture of the engineering organization in partnership with other leaders.
- Influential beyond the technology organization. You have a deep network of cross functional peers who value your opinion / perspective.
- Aware of the state of talent within your teams and tracking those with high potential, promotion pipelines, and those in need of coaching.
- Team Leadership
- Responsible for developing new team leaders that are transitioning from individual contributors to management / leadership.
- Responsible for people management duties across engineering teams including: team staffing, career development of individuals, retention and performance management.
- Responsible for fostering a team culture that values collaboration, accountability, innovation, and results.
- Responsible for ensuring team members follow established processes while fostering a culture that embraces continuous improvement.
- Planning, Execution, and Delivery
- Collaborates with cross functional partners to organize the team’s backlog and planned work.
- Responsible for organizing, leading, and delivering the team’s engineering work.
- Responsible for quality of deliverables and should champion BlockFi standards of work.
- Service Ownership
- Responsible for planning care/maintenance of services owned by the team.
- Accountable for system availability and monitoring system health; ensure alerts, metrics, and runbooks are in place; and debug issues in production.
- Subject matter expertise around owned services. Detailed knowledge of the what/how business capabilities are provided.
- Technical Breadth as well as Depth in Several Areas: 8+ years of industry experience working with, designing, and building distributed systems at scale.
- Team Leadership: 3+ years of leading a team of 6 or more engineers through daily work routines, performance management, and hiring/retaining talent.
- Manager of Managers: 1+ years of experience managing people in leadership roles.
- Technical Ownership: Experience owning software systems end-to-end, designing, estimating, implementing, testing, maintaining, debugging, and supporting high-quality software in production.
- Communication: Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Collaboration: Empathetic and does the legwork required for building consensus. Always seeks out feedback on technical designs, solutions, and code.
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive salary because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Employercontribution towards health coverage (including vision & dental) because your physical health and well-being is important to us
- Various fringe benefits such as 401k, Parental Leave, FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs because health coverage is more than just choosing your yearly plan
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- Pet insurance because all of your beloved family members should have coverage too
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork